The Business of Healthcare Ethics
It is essential for healthcare professionals involved in billing and coding to adhere to ethical standards to ensure that patients are not overcharged, that insurers are not defrauded, and that healthcare providers are compensated fairly for their services.
Here are some of the key ethical considerations in healthcare billing discussed in this upcoming training:
- Accuracy: Healthcare professionals should ensure that the bills are accurate and reflect the services provided to the patient. Any errors or discrepancies should be corrected promptly.
- Transparency: Healthcare professionals should provide clear and transparent information to patients about the costs of the services provided and the billing process. Patients should have access to their medical records and billing statements.
- Confidentiality: Healthcare professionals should ensure that patient information is kept confidential and is only used for billing purposes.
- Fairness: Healthcare professionals should bill patients and insurance companies fairly and avoid overbilling or double-billing for services rendered.
- Compliance: Healthcare professionals should adhere to all relevant laws and regulations related to medical billing and coding, including billing codes and guidelines set forth by insurance companies and government healthcare programs.
- Avoidance of Fraud: Healthcare professionals should avoid fraudulent billing practices, such as billing for services that were not provided or upcoding, which is the practice of using a higher billing code than what is appropriate for the services rendered.
Adhering to ethical standards in healthcare billing is crucial to maintaining the trust of patients and insurers and ensuring that healthcare services are delivered fairly and equitably.
LIVE March 22 2023
12:00 PM CST
- How compliance and ethics relate
- What healthcare workers are facing with ethics today
- Ethics that supersede loyalty
- How patients are affected by healthcare workers and their ethics
- Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
About the instructor
CCS,CPC,CPC-I,CPMA,CRC,CGSC,COPC,AAPC Approved Instructor
I serve as the Director of Education and Coding for Oncospark. I brings impact and results with 20+ years of proven healthcare revenue cycle experience and effective instruction through Spark Advisory Network for 1000+ students. I have embraced the changes in the billing and coding space by embracing the movement to value-based care and software deployment across specialties. I am committed to teaching others the intricate world of billing and coding and the future of the space.
I hold the following credentials CCS,CPC,CRC,CPMA,CGSC,COPC,CPCI and serve as the Consulting Editor for the AAPC Codify Podiatry Newsletter
I started my Career in 2000 and have worked in many specialized areas of Coding including Orthopedics, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Podiatry and many more. My coding team provides Auditing, Consulting, RCM services, Credentialing and Compliance through our team of experts.
I am the host of the podcast “Healthcare Crossroads ” discussing connections in HealthcareData, ComplianceandPatientCare. It is available on many podcast stations.
I have served as Education Officer for the Joplin MO AAPC Chapter previously and has written articles for AAPC Healthcare Business Monthly. I am a National public speaker and have been a past speaker at AAPC Healthcon as well as many specialty conferences and events both Virtually and In-person including Decision Health for Orthopedics.